Quote of the fortnight
Current time: 10-23-2017, 10:54 PM
User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Author: NonEntity
Last Post: NonEntity
Replies: 27
Views: 9683

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Quote of the fortnight
02-13-2013, 09:59 AM
Quote of the fortnight
Arthur Silber Wrote:
So we are left with the calls for a return to the vision of the Founders and to a government "of the people, by the people, for the people" -- by which almost everyone means the vision as embodied in the Constitution, not the vision with which the "Revolution" had begun and which did not survive the War for Independence itself. ...
It is an immense triumph of propaganda. And from that perspective, you have to acknowledge: it's fucking genius.

Is it voluntary? (because if it isn't, what inherently is it?)
And can it be voluntary, if there's indoctrination, intimidation, coercion, threats & initiation of violence?
[not to be confused with asking: can it be said to be "voluntary" even when such is present.?]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2013, 02:01 PM
RE: Quote of the fortnight
H L Mencken (1880-1956) Wrote:
The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos.
Off goes the head of the king, and tyranny gives way to freedom. The change seems abysmal. Then, bit by bit, the face of freedom hardens, and by and by it is the old face of tyranny. Then another cycle, and another. But under the play of all these opposites there is something fundamental and permanent — the basic delusion that men may be governed and yet be free.
The government consists of a gang of men exactly like you and me. They have, taking one with another, no special talent for the business of government; they have only a talent for getting and holding office. Their principal device to that end is to search out groups who pant and pine for something they can't get and to promise to give it to them. Nine times out of ten that promise is worth nothing. The tenth time is made good by looting A to satisfy B. In other words, government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods.
I believe that liberty is the only genuinely valuable thing that men have invented, at least in the field of government, in a thousand years. I believe that it is better to be free than to be not free, even when the former is dangerous and the latter safe. I believe that the finest qualities of man can flourish only in free air – that progress made under the shadow of the policeman’s club is false progress, and of no permanent value. I believe that any man who takes the liberty of another into his keeping is bound to become a tyrant, and that any man who yields up his liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave.
I believe that religion, generally speaking, has been a curse to mankind — that its modest and greatly overestimated services on the ethical side have been more than overcome by the damage it has done to clear and honest thinking.

I believe that all government is evil, in that all government must necessarily make war upon liberty and the democratic form is as bad as any of the other forms.
Government, like any other organism, refuses to acquiesce in its own extinction. This refusal, of course, involves the resistance to any effort to diminish its powers and prerogatives.
The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.

[Image: lightbulb.gif]more (many more) gems here: H. L. Mencken - Wikiquote [Image: thumbsup.gif]
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/H._L._Mencken

And can it be voluntary, if there's indoctrination, intimidation, coercion, threats & initiation of violence?
[not to be confused with asking: can it be said to be "voluntary" even when such is present.?]
05-31-2013, 08:03 AM
Howard Zinn, in A People's History Of The United States Wrote:
In 1859, John Brown was hanged, with federal complicity, for attempting to do by small-scale violence what Lincoln would do by large-scale violence several years later --end Slavery. Hence, it was Abraham Lincoln who "freed the slaves", not John Brown.
[minor text formatting, mine]

[see "representation" doctrine/dogma/superstition]

06-11-2013, 07:04 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2013 07:06 PM by eye2i2hear.)
Jefferson Davis, according to BrainQuote.com Wrote:
I worked night and day for twelve years to prevent the war, but I could not. The North was mad and blind, would not let us govern ourselves, and so the war came.

[/irony]

Marc Stevens Wrote:What evidence is there that the Constitution or the Code apply to anyone?

01-16-2014, 12:00 PM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2014 12:20 PM by eye2i2hear.)
[Image: piratear.gif]

university professor Peter Leeson, in the Journal Of Political Economy, Wrote:Buccaneers differ from “pure” pirates in that they frequently plundered ships with government sanction. However, many other times they plundered without official permission, as full-blown pirates. These protopirates, many of whom turned to pure piracy when governments stopped issuing licenses for plunder, influenced and anticipated the organization of pure pirates in the late seventeenth and early eighteenth centuries.
--from the article An-arrgh-chy: The Law and Economics of Pirate Organization [pdf]

[...is the word "Bureaucrat" just another of those ever so popular dang-fangled spelling changes/morphs made, for the original word "Buccaneer"...?! protopirates' protospelling? ~ and a protoversion of religions' issuing of "indulgences"...?]

in a footnote, he continued and Wrote:Pure pirates should be distinguished from buccaneers, privateers, and corsairs. Pure pirates were total outlaws and attacked merchant ships indiscriminately for their own gain. Privateers and corsairs, in contrast, were both state-sanctioned sea robbers. Governments licensed the former to attack enemy ships in times of war. Governments licensed the latter to attack the ships of other nations on the basis of religion. “Buccaneering was a peculiar blend of piracy and privateering in which the two elements were often indistinguishable” (Marx 1996a, 38). Oftentimes, buccaneers plundered with official sanction, making them more like privateers than pirates. Many other times, however, they did not. In these cases they were acting as pure pirates.

10-26-2016, 08:00 PM (This post was last modified: 10-26-2016 08:10 PM by NonEntity.)
Contestant on Survivor sed:

- NonE the severely deluded Sister Sleazious .).

"I just don't understand how this happens." Undecided
Find all posts by this user
11-23-2016, 05:04 PM
(01-28-2012 09:53 AM)NonEntity Wrote:  Quotes for all time:
Paul Begala Wrote:Stoke of the pen, law of the land. Kinda cool!

Marc Stevens Wrote:A law is just an opinion backed by a gun.

Mahk Stevens Wrote:...if there's a technical problem it's not from my end.

Applause
LOL Oops LOL
Investigating
Dunno

- NonE

12-14-2016, 10:50 AM (This post was last modified: 12-14-2016 10:52 AM by eye2i2hear.)
(did some1 say "fort"...?)

Quote:I think that this is the other piece of the puzzle: a research paper that suggests that everyone becomes more likely to support authoritarian policies if they’re sufficiently scared — the difference between authoritarians and non-authoritarians is how easy it is to scare them, and what they find frightening.

01-12-2017, 05:40 PM
Rita Coolidge, Delta Lady, pp 209 Wrote:
Music is better than a good meal,
it's better than sex,
it's better than anything.
It just rules.

02-20-2017, 07:24 PM
On a big illuminated billboard kind of sign on the wall of an "adult" store...
BIG CONDOM BLOWOUT SALE

This sign has been up for weeks. I'm wondering if they're selling lots of condoms. Oops

06-25-2017, 05:12 PM (This post was last modified: 06-25-2017 05:37 PM by NonEntity.)
Quote:
There are times when you long for answers and you become painfully aware that you are surrounded by people who may not even comprehend your questions.

Srividya Srinivasan

Quote:
Answers do not matter so much as questions, said the Good Fairy. A good question is very hard to answer. The better the question the harder the answer. There is no answer at all to a very good question.

Flann O'Brien

06-26-2017, 05:49 PM
“There is . . . no fundamental, but that every supreme power must be arbitrary.”

Jean-Baptiste Say (1767-1832)
French Economist

As a psychopathic creature, the corporation can neither recognize nor act upon moral reasons to refrain from harming others.
~joel bakan
07-08-2017, 10:07 AM
Randall posted a link to a very interesting talk and discussion regarding the nature of administrative law.

There was one thought which I judge of great value at 55:30,
"The first step is simply that we think clearly on the subject."