Irony [quote]
Current time: 07-25-2017, 09:43 AM
User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Author: eye2i2hear
Last Post: MobiusMaximus8
Replies: 4
Views: 1322

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Irony [quote]
03-14-2012, 04:26 PM (This post was last modified: 03-14-2012 04:29 PM by eye2i2hear.)
Irony [quote]
hmmmm.. yet again, the dilemma... to post such in "The Arts"... or the "Quote of the Day"... so once again, "Media for 200, Alec...]

Media>The Arts> Quote of the Day ("We" speak aside):

Dan French, in a 2001 review of The Daily Show, Wrote:"Irony has always been a primary tool the under-powered use to tear at the over-powered in our culture. But now irony has become the bait that media corporations use to appeal to educated consumers. . . . It's almost an ultimate irony that those who say they don't like TV will sit and watch TV as long as the hosts of their favorite shows act like they don't like TV, either. Somewhere in this swirl of droll poses and pseudo-insights, irony itself becomes a kind of mass therapy for a politically confused culture. It offers a comfortable space where complicity doesn't feel like complicity. It makes you feel like you are counter-cultural while never requiring you to leave the mainstream culture it has so much fun teasing. We are happy enough with this therapy that we feel no need to enact social change."

R. Jay Magill, Jr., Chic Ironic Bitterness. Univ. of Michigan Press, Wrote:"Direct expression, with no tricks, gimmickry, or irony, has come to be interpreted ironically because the default interpretive apparatus says, 'He can't really mean THAT!' When a culture becomes ironic about itself en masse, simple statements of brutal fact, simple judgments of hate or dislike become humorous because they unveil the absurdity, 'friendliness,' and caution of normal public expression. It's funny because it's true. Honestly. We're all upside down now."
http://grammar.about.com/od/il/g/ironyterm.htm

Is it voluntary? (because if it isn't, what inherently is it?)
And can it be voluntary, if there's indoctrination, intimidation, coercion, threats & initiation of violence?
[not to be confused with asking: can it be said to be "voluntary" even when such is present.?]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-13-2017, 01:04 PM
RE: Irony [quote]
Juan Galt Wrote:
Honest? By whose standard?

Facepalm

- NonE the severely deluded Sister Sleazious .).

"I just don't understand how this happens." Undecided
Find all posts by this user
06-13-2017, 01:14 PM
(06-13-2017 01:04 PM)NonEntity Wrote:  
Juan Galt Wrote:

Facepalm

We are all DOOOOOOMED!!!

Holy Crap

To many idiots in the world, no names required.

What sane person would ever vote for someone to be their leader or ruler?
06-13-2017, 02:15 PM (This post was last modified: 06-13-2017 04:02 PM by eye2i2hear.)
(06-13-2017 01:04 PM)NonEntity Wrote:  
Juan Galt Wrote:

Facepalm

Is that a dichotomy i'm smelling...? (again!?)

[Image: perfect_dog.gif]

*ETU** fwiw, was it the term "honest" that Con Juan inquired about? not saying it wasn't (doG, he's gone on and on and on and on, aye? --or was that moi?) or couldn't just as well have been *[see here]*; just that the one i recall, specifically, was over the term "honor".?

--NitpickEi2

* fwiw2, i generally have not much of a problem irritation with such lines of inquiry; giving pause, if you will? i mean, how many assume when they use the word "freedom" (and GI Honor?) it means by the standard USA! USA! USA! ? And what if that's just the tip of the iceberg, Cap'n tItanic? That, and in general, so many are of the religious indoctoraNation'ing, Sovereigns up on their Humpty Dumpty wall, that "When I use a word it means what I say it means! Nothing more, nothing less!" Well, well, how controlling of you! No? What if such prompts are actually (as could be) potential exercising moments? Resistance training, via the genuine art of questioning everything? [Image: character0116.gif] Question Authority --even/especially if that's Our one's own? Genuinely "voluntary" --even when it comes to such terms (contractual) as words (are)? Why NOT ask? (you'd rather just STATE! --in the 1st degree (or is it 3rd degree? --degree or decree?)?)

read/refresher/reco: The Tyranny Of Words, by Stuart Chase.?
(now who wasitity that introduced me to that nugget... hmmm...)

Is it voluntary? (because if it isn't, what inherently is it?)
And can it be voluntary, if there's indoctrination, intimidation, coercion, threats & initiation of violence?
[not to be confused with asking: can it be said to be "voluntary" even when such is present.?]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-13-2017, 02:42 PM
Yes "IRONY". Like when someone boasts a sticker on the back window of their truck with the "come and take it" phrase above a (err) "hunting rifle" whilst also boasting a gang insignia thin blue line special flag sticker. Ah! Ain't 'Murica great?!?

When all you have is a hammer,
All problems look like a nail