"the putrid state into which our media has passed" ?
Current time: 05-29-2017, 02:22 AM
User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Author: eye2i2hear
Last Post: eye2i2hear
Replies: 0
Views: 952

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2016, 04:15 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2016 04:19 PM by eye2i2hear.)
[Image: news.gif]

Guess the year/years of these... ?

Quote:"Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a news broadcast. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”

"As for what is not true, you will always find abundance in the newscasts.”

“‘From forty years' experience of the wretched guess-work of the news of what is not done in open daylight, and of their falsehood even as to that, I rarely think them worth considering, and almost never worth notice.”

"I deplore... the putrid state into which our media has passed and the malignity, the vulgarity, and mendacious spirit of those who produce them... These ordures are rapidly depraving the public taste and lessening its relish for sound food.”

"The most effectual engines for [pacifying a nation] are the public media broadcasts... [A] government always [keeps] a kind of standing army of news writers who, without any regard to truth or to what should be like truth, [invent] and put into the papers whatever might serve the administrations. This suffices with the mass of the people who have no means of distinguishing the false from the true contents of a news source.”

"A truth now and then projecting into the ocean of media lies serves like headlands to correct our course. Indeed, my scepticism as to everything I see in a news report makes me indifferent whether I ever see one.”

"The man who never looks into a newspaper is better informed than he who reads them, inasmuch as he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.”

Written this year? The last couple of years? Surely this decade!?
President Trump maybe!?

Nada.

All quotes¹ from the 18th & 19th century America, aka quotes of 'President' Thomas (Jefferson fwtw). Noting that one: "From forty years' experience"! Along with "the putrid state into which our newspapers have passed"! Make America Great Again!?

Bonus, one often attributed to Mark Twain³, but is offered as actually/possibly being a turn on Jefferson:

"If you don’t listen to the media you are uninformed, if you do listen to the media you are misinformed."

Is it voluntary? (because if it isn't, what inherently is it?)
And can it be voluntary, if there's indoctrination, intimidation, coercion, threats & initiation of violence?
[not to be confused with asking: can it be said to be "voluntary" even when such is present.?]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply