Butler muses...
Current time: 11-25-2017, 02:30 AM
User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Author: NonEntity
Last Post: eye2i2hear
Replies: 1
Views: 245

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Butler muses...
10-20-2017, 04:07 PM
Butler muses...
Butler Shaffer Wrote:[a snippet from the entire article]

In fairness to Rand, she understood what Eddington was saying when she warned us to “check your premises.” But what are the premises from which I am to use my rational mind? How can I test their validity based on my thinking? Can I step outside of my conscious mind and evaluate the content of what I “know?” Heisenberg’s “uncertainty principle” reminds us of what we know and cannot know from our observations. The philosopher, J. Krishnamurti, expanded on this insight in declaring that “the observer is the observed.” If we are to “check our premises,” how do we do so knowing that the premises to be checked have been created by the thinking of the viewer?

After many years of pondering, and with the help of Eastern philosophy, I have come to the conclusion that such an inquiry does not go very far if one depends primarily on words, reasoning, and other processes of our conscious mind. We live in a world that is so dominated by words, symbols, and other abstractions, that we imagine the forces that direct our thinking can be expressly articulated.

I disagree with Butler on a few things, but all in all he's one of my favorite people.

- NonE the severely deluded Sister Sleazious .).

"I just don't understand how this happens." Undecided
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-21-2017, 08:24 AM
RE: Butler muses...
Interesting..?

That Shaffer used/included the word [sic] reasoning in his reasoning as he did...?

/interesting.?

Dr. Voltaire; paging Dr. Voltaire; you're needed in the ER...

(until he's reached, shall We work with Dr. Whyte's prescription¹: The biggest problem with communication is the illusion it has taken place.)

Quote:Homo sapien is the species that invents symbols in which to invest passion and authority, then forgets that symbols are inventions.
—Joyce Carol Oates

There is no WEst..!?

Oooommmmm
Ying to Yang (the artist formally known as the allmindfulleye2i& the whorse it road inn own)

Is it voluntary? (because if it isn't, what inherently is it?)
And can it be voluntary, if there's indoctrination, intimidation, coercion, threats & initiation of violence?
[not to be confused with asking: can it be said to be "voluntary" even when such is present.?]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply